Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"MAY" WE PLEASE move FORWARD






WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN????

Ok, this past month has been REALLY INTENSE- to put it NICELY!!

We have had a long drawn out ordeal with searching for houses. We began the journey March 3rd and it was every day since then. Receiving emails with MLS #'s, pictures, addresses, and doing countless walk throughs. Well we walked through 47 homes! BAH!! Soooo overwhelming at times, but it was sooo well worth the long process. I am happy to say that we FOUND OUR HOME! :D YAY!! We closed May 12th and got our Keys May 16th. Our original plan was to go in and deep clean first, than move in. HOWEVER, Jason & I were so excited, we were basically moved the night of the 16th :D (Thanks to our GREAT FRIENDS & FAMILY- LOVE YOU GUYS). Lots to do still, but its absolutely amazing knowing ITS OURS, WE HAVE OUR OWN SPACE, our OWN home. OUR OWN LITTLE FAMILY, which is MOST IMPORTANT.



Speaking of Family, we recently were presented with a terrifying ordeal. Our precious little girl Khloe was rushed to Primary's (by Jason & I) and had to undergo surgery.. The week of April 27th I began to notice Khloe's right ear poking out. I was asking/mentioning it to nearly everyone I saw. "Do you see how its sticking out a little?" Everyone just responded "She is fine , that's normal. It's the Malcolm ears" so I would try and brush it off. Friday the 29th Roberta and I (& Khloe, Gavin, Tayden, Brennen) went to the mall to find Khloe's Dedication dress as she was to be Dedicated on Mother's day. She was happy, smiley, and giggly. Shortly after (about 6p.m.) I was again showing Jason her ear (by this point it was literally sticking COMPLETELY out sideways). Now when I touched it, she would cry but again no symptoms. No fever, no reaching for her ears, not fussy, no temperature, NOTHING... Deep down it didn't seem right so I called the ON call DR at Primary's and explained what was going on. The on call Dr advised me it was 1 of 2 things. If the 1 thing -NOT SERIOUS if the 2nd thing I needed to be up at Primary's RIGHT NOW!! Of course after that call we were immediately in the car on the way to Primary's.

We arrived at Primary's at 9:47 p.m. we waited in the waiting room for about 15 minutes and then were taken back and met with the nurse to take vitals (all of which came back good). Then we were taken back to another observation room and waiting for the DR to come in. About 11 Dr. Mann came in and checked Khloe's ears. He was stunned and continued to say "NO WAY does she have Mastoiitis-she'd be in excruciating pain- normally" and continued the check up. Came back and ordered a CT scan, which we did about 11:30. Waiting for those results to come back and he came back in about 12:05a.m. Dr Mann advised us at that time "From the results it does show that Khloe has a DOUBLE Ear Infection and it has actually got into the MASTOID bone on the right side. She does in fact have Mastoiditis on the right side. We are going to take some more blood samples and administer some antibiotics and get you admitted to the hospital over night. First thing in the morning we will look again and at that point determine whether or not surgery will be required. "
Obviously at this point I am NUMB.. I mean i am hearing what the Dr's are saying but it doesn't seem plausible. (my happy smiley baby is in need of surgery and didn't even cry to try and tell me)..

(YOU CAN SEE HER right EAR IS STICKING OUT- this was the 27th. On the 29th it was almost sticking out sideways )

We got to the hospital room. Were sitting there staring at each other, both wondering if the morning we'd get good news or not. Khloe of course was SOUND ASLEEP!!! Dr Grimmer came into the room in the morning and advised that the infection isn't actually going down. He advised they we needed to get her prepped and ready for surgery. he explained that they will need to give her anesthesia. He explained to us what Mastoiditis is:
Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection of the mastoid air cells (small, air-filled cavities located in the mastoid process, which is the bulge in the skull behind the ear).
Mastoiditis, a bacterial infection within the honeycomb-like mastoid process, in most cases results when an ear infection spreads to the mucus membrane surrounding the mastoid process and eventually reaches the walls of the bone itself.
If the infection persists, it may destroy the delicate structures of the mastoid. This can result in hearing loss and, without treatment, continued destruction of bone in the skull.
Mastoiditis most often affects children. Before the advent of antibiotics, it was a common cause of childhood mortality.
Currently, prospects of full recovery are very good. However, if not treated promptly, mastoiditis may lead to further complications, including meningitis, facial paralysis, labyrinthitis, and brain abscess, in addition to hearing loss and bone destruction.
Causes and Risk Factors of Mastoiditis
Bacteria that cause mastoiditis include pneumococcus (usually in children under age 6), Hemophilus influenzae, beta-hemolytic streptococci, staphylococci, and gram-negative organisms.

Mastoiditis is usually a complication of chronic otitis media and, less frequently, of acute otitis media.

Symptoms of Mastoiditis
Signs and symptoms of mastoiditis include:
Dull ache and tenderness in the area of the mastoid process
Low-grade fever
Thick, purulent discharge that gradually becomes more profuse
Postauricular erythema and edema (may push the auricle out from the head)
Possible conductive hearing loss
Edema of the tympanic membrane

If bone damage is minimal, myringotomy drains purulent fluid and provides a specimen of discharge for culture and sensitivity testing.
Recurrent or persistent infection, or signs of intracranial complications necessitate simple mastoidectomy. This procedure involves removal of the diseased bone and cleansing of the affected area, after which a drain is inserted.
A chronically inflamed mastoid bone requires radical mastoidectomy - excision of the posterior wall of the ear canal, remnants of the tympanic membrane, and the malleus and incus (although these bones are usually destroyed by infection before surgery). The stapes and facial nerve remain intact.
Radical mastoidectomy, which is seldom necessary because of antibiotic the
rapy, does not drastically affect the patient's hearing because significant hearing loss precedes surgery.
With either surgical procedure, the patient continues oral antibiotic therapy for several weeks after surgery and hospital discharge


The scariest part what what the doctors are required to tell us.. Dr Grimmer explained to us the severity of her injuries. He said they needed to get in and do the surgery quickly.


He said;

1. if the infection goes inward any farther then where its at it'll get to her brain.

2. If we would have waited ANY longer, she would have had hearing loss/gone deaf.

3. Advised that they will need to take out 80%+ of the mastoid bone itself due to infection

4. The surgery runs right over the nerve that controls the facial expressions so there is a chance she could come out of surgery and her face could be paralysed.

Then the anesthesiologist explained the possibility of the anesthesia being fatal and make you sign that form saying to give consent. WE HAD GOOSEBUMPS SIGNING THAT BY THE WAY (it all still appears to be cloudy and "SURREAL" looking back at it now. It all happened sooo fast. We told the procedure would take at lest 1 1/2 hours and they'd call the waiting room when it was done. As we were going down to the OR it really was beginning to FULLY SINK IN. My precious "ANGEL girl" was needed SURGERY. A word a mother NEVER wants to say in the same sentence as their child. But here we were. I did not let them wheel her down the halls to the O.R. but I carried her. Kissing and swaying her the entire way. Jason was right there holding her other little hand both of us telling her "Mommy & Daddy LOVE YOU SOOOOOO MUCH SWEET GIRL". She quickly fell asleep in my arms. By the time we actually reached the OR they advised it would be a few more minutes. FINE WITH ME, Khloe was asleep in my arms. I saw inside her OR room as they were prepping the table and started getting "panicky". Dr Grimmer came out and announced "ok It's time". His nurse (Rachel) reached for Khloe and they headed towards the operating room.


I remember staring at the Doctors and Khloe until the door shut, remember walking back through that door, making it around the corner and then BAM it HIT ME LIKE A BRICK WALL! I was overwhelmed with EMPTINESS, my arms ached for her. I was scared for her, & I JUST ABOUT COLLAPSED. Jason managed to grab me as my knees were giving way and I just SOBBED uncontrollably in his arms. I would have INSTANTLY traded places with her, but I couldn't... Instead I was in that hallways, weak in the knees, sobbing in Jason's arms and absolutely HELPLESS. After a few minutes I calmed down and noticed a bathroom right there. I went in to blow my nose, wash my face and try to just "take a moment". At this point I was leaning over the sink and PRAYING. PRAYING THAT IT WAS ALL GOING TO GO WELL, that the infection would be gone, that she would get better quick and that God just watch over her. I left the bathroom and went to the waiting room (right around the corner) and found a little booth and chairs and just curled up in a ball and started crying again. It's so hard to put into words the feelings/emotions that were FLYING through me; fear, panic, loneliness, powerless, achy, terrified, sad, empty, shock, ANTICIPATION.. Jason returned to the waiting room about 10 SECONDS after I did with my cousin Roberta. She grabbed hold of me and let me finish crying- allowing to get it all out.. Then We just began chatting. Soon Carol & Kelly showed up. About 20 minutes later Rory & Ellie walked into the waiting room too. It was soooo helpful for Jason & I to be surrounded by family. Passed the time and we were all laughing before too long.


2 hours 3 minutes later Dr Grimmer came in and said the surgery went really well, she is doing great and she was in recovery now but still not quite awake. They said that we could go back as soon as she was awake. We got the ok to go back to her and Jason & I were literally JOGGING down that hallway to get back to her. She was crying as the tube in her through had irritated her. I began talking to her as was Jason and she started to calm down. We made it back to her room and i was leaned over that crib holding her hand talking to her. They kept saying she will calm down in a minute or so probably but that it was normal. I asked them if we could feed Khloe as she wasn't able to EAT since Midnight the night before. They said "she won't be hungry, she wont' have an appetite for her normal amounts" but again I requested some of my milk and finally a nurse agreed. Our little sweet Baby Bear CHUGGED all 6 ounces of her bottle. I think the milk actually felt good on her throat.. I was holding her while she was eating and she quickly fell back to sleep in my arms.


Again at this point I said another prayer. THANKING GOD for the answered prayer, for having her back safely in my arms and knowing that the surgery was a success. Granted I knew we had a long 2 weeks + ahead of us, but she was doing good.


The following day they put the PICC line in so they could get us ready for our departure home. They advised we will be learning how to administer IV antibiotics to her and the HOME HEALTH NURSE would be showing me as well. Dr Grimmer said that she will be on IV meds for 2 weeks + depending on how she is doing and then scheduled the follow up appt for the 17th of MAY!!


Roberta brought her a balloon and lamb that lights up and sings. She LOVED the balloon. When she woke up she saw it and just kept reaching for it. THANKS CUZ!!!








Well the 2 weeks went by quickly, her follow-up appointment went really well. They took out her PICC LINE, she passed all 4 hearing tests with FLYING COLORS and her infection IS ALL GONE.. She is back to 100%. YAY!!! YAY!!! YAY!!!! They said it will probably take about 1-2 months for the ear to go back completely but she is doing great. While we were waiting in teh room for Dr Grimmer to come back in I began whistling and talking to Khloe (like I usually am doing) and she just started LAUGHING.. She was all smiles.. :D We read a book to her, played with her Sophie Giraffe, crunchy book, an chewed on her fingers :D





Dr. Grimmer came in and she just stared at him. Kind of in awe/suspicion. He came and sat down and she was reaching for his stethoscope. Smiling. When he picked her up for some pictures her smile left and she just stared at him in this SERIOUS manner. It was kind of priceless. But she wasn't scared of him.





On top of her hospital stay she was teething too.. Poor baby girl. She is a tough SUPER TROOPER!! She now has her 2 bottom teeth, rolls over, sits up by herself, attempts this army crawl (puts her face down in the floor , BUTT UP and then Straightens legs and scoots about 1/2-1 inch at a time), squeaks and squeals nearly NON STOP, giggles all the time, and constantly has a BIG SMILE ON HER FACE!! Greatest baby IN THE WORLD!!! (even when in pain)


We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO blessed that she is doing so well.


Mother's Day was obviously overshadowed by her, but that is what Mother's day is about. Granted its for the Mom, but it is BECAUSE OF THE BABIES. She truly is the LIGHT OF MY LIFE and my GREATEST accomplishment EVER!! I thank God EVERYDAY for the opportunity to take care of her, love her, guide her, teach her, and just BE HER MAMA!!! I felt like a MILLION BUCKS waking up on Mother's day AT HOME with my amazing little family! :D What could be better???

No comments:

Post a Comment