Tuesday, October 12, 2010

~ 1 Page at a Time ~

I have been reading so much lately. Since I opened that cover and began the 1st page of Twilight last year it seems I cannot keep myself away from books! It makes me happy to be so interested in reading again and I have been fortunate enough to remain intrigued by 99% of the books I choose! That being said, there have been, on rare occasion, a few that I cannot seem to get interested in or remain interested in. I had just got done reading another series "The Hunger Games" (GO GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT ALREADY) and was searching for the next big thing to grab my attention.

Finally I had remembered my cousin Roberta reading a book called "The Shack". I decided I would give it a try.

So of course, I ventured to the Library ( I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE LIBRARY). I checked it out and made it home. Decided to give it a try and for some reason I couldn't get "into" it at all. I would end up texting, playing a game, watching tv, doing laundry, or cooking dinner. Seems I was making excuses rather than giving it a chance. So I returned it to the library and check out another book but it had remained in the back of my mind so I thought "Let's give it a 2nd chance"! I am SOOO Glad I did! This book is absolutely amazing. Still, to me it does start out slow, but GIVE IT A CHANCE! Keep reading. It takes off and though it goes in a dark direction at first when you turn that last page you can't help but feel overcome with peace. When you put the book down you feel "at home" and so "blessed"! It is the kind of story that can "reach" every single person on this planet, to some level at least! I recommend this book to EVERYONE who is capable of reading! I truly feel you will walk away from this book wanting to be a better person!
Here is the link to the website- take a moment and check it out, see if it is something that would strike your interest, if so CHECK it out! You will NOT be disappointed!
Thanks Roberta- for the recommendation- I am so thankful I came across this book! It is one I can see myself reading again down the road!


Another great book that I just recently read was "For One More Day"
This book was referred to me by another cousin, Caitlyn. This book is "moving" and again makes you feel at ease with the idea of getting that chance to have a "DO OVER" with someone you lost.
For One More Day by Mitch Albom is the story of a man who gets the chance to spend one more day with his mother, who died 8 years earlier. In the vein of Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven, For One More Day takes readers to a place between life and death in a story of redemption and one man's struggle to deal with his ghosts.

I began the book and was hooked right away. We all have those people in our lives that we have lost and miss so dearly. There was a part in the book (in the beginning) that said something like "What if you got the chance to go back, to see that person again, one more conversation, one more embrace, would you do it?" That was all it took for me, I was SOLD. I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to see what happened to this character, where it took us as readers.
So if you know of any books you loved, please send them my way! I am always open to new ideas. I am not a 1 genre kind of reader. I jump ALL over the place. So chances are if you loved it, it would give me that personal connection to at the very least "give it a shot!"

1 comment:

  1. Have you read James Patterson's Womens Murder Club books? There are a total of 9 (so far) books in this series and I think they are really good. I've read 7/9 and each one kept my interested.

    ReplyDelete